Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Macmiror (nifuratelum 200mg)

Hello,
    I was prescribed a medication called Macmiror which contains 200 mg of nifuratelum. My doctor told me it is OK for breastfeeding moms, but the leaflet is pretty strict about it, saying not to take it when breastfeeding. I didn't manage to find any more detailed information about this substance in relation to breastfeeding. Is it safe? My son is 15 months old.
    Thank you very much in advance for your help!
    Best regards,
    JC

Dear Jagoda,

I was unable to find much information about the medication Macmiror (nifuratelum). It must not be an FDA approved drug in the U.S. It is listed as an antibacterial and antiprotozoal agent which, in general, are compatible with breastfeeding. Since your child is older, the amount of breastmilk consumed is small, and your child's system can process medications well at 15 months. With this information in mind, this medication is likely compatible with breastfeeding in your case. If you can find the half-life (how long it takes for half of the medication to be eliminated), and allow one half-life to pass before breastfeeding that would reduce risk to your child. If you have access to the pharmacokinetics of the drug such as half-life, molecular weight, protein binding, time to maximum level (T max), oral bioavailability, pka and volume of distribution, please reply with that information. The pharmacokinetics should be printed on the package insert you receive with your medication or the pharmacy should also have that information. The pharmacokinetics allow us to predict the amount of the medication that would enter breastmilk and thus more accurately estimate the risk for your child.

Sincerely,
    Cindy Pride, MSN, CPNP
    TTUHSC InfantRisk Center

Comment

Thank you very much for your time and help! The information about the half-time of this medication is unfortunately not on the leaflet. I will try though to find out as much as possible from my pharmacist.
      I managed to find a confirmation form a certified lactation consultant that the medication is generally safe when breastfeeding.

Comment

Working...
      X