Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

Working in a lab with chemicals while breastfeeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working in a lab with chemicals while breastfeeding

Hello
    "I work in chemistry, and I teach an organic lab that involves chemicals like formaldehyde, DCM, lead nitrate, and other similar substances that aren't exactly "friendly". I took a break from teaching this semester because I'm breastfeeding, but they told me that next semester (starting January), I will have to teach it. I don't want to wean E. after he turns one, but at the same time I can't refuse to take on this lab.
    I'm not sure what to do.
    Do you think I could continue breastfeeding E. after he turns one while working in this lab? Perhaps when the breastfeeding will be less frequent?"
    Thanks
    A mother in the UAE

Hi there,

Generally speaking, whatever is safe for you will be safe for breastfeeding. As long as you are following proper precautionary measures (personal protective equipment, vent hoods, etc as appropriate), I suspect your exposures will be fine. If you are involved in a spill or any unexpected exposure, a hold time for breastfeeding may be advisable but would depend on the chemicals involved.

Dr. Krutsch

Comment

Working...
    X