Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welcome to our forum! Before posting your questions, please read the following terms:

1. 1. Forum questions will be responded to by InfantRisk staff as schedules permit during normal business hours.
  2. 2. This forum is not intended for emergencies or urgent care. For any immediate medical concerns, please seek appropriate medical attention.
  3. 3. Any statements made by team members should be discussed with your medical care team. Your healthcare providers know you (and your baby) best, and should have a better understanding of your unique situation.
  4. 4. We are a small team dedicated to helping you as best as we can. However, for the quickest response, we recommend calling the InfantRisk Center at +1(806) 352-2519.

By posting to the forums, you acknowledge and agree to these terms.

The InfantRisk team

Breastfeeding on olanzapine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breastfeeding on olanzapine

Hi I am a second time mom with Bipolar disorder and take sertraline 100 mg and olanzapine 5mg for maintenance therapy. I did not breast feed my first born son because he was very sleepy and had some neonatal adaptation symptoms and I was really scared but he ended up having a lot of food allergies. I really wanna breastfeed this time but I am worried about olanzapine causing sedation to the baby and little research on effects on baby’s development.

Zyprexa is listed as an L2. It is estimated that baby can get up to 1.2% of what an infant's dosage would be. There is no long term data on children with exposure via breast milk, but there is extensive data regarding the outcomes of untreated mental health concerns in mothers and their child's development (your mental health is very important). Sertraline and olanzapine are not typically contraindicated in breastfeeding. If you choose to nurse, monitor your baby for sedation or irritability, insomnia, apnea, not waking to feed/poor feeding, and tremors.
    Last edited by nicholec; 05-01-2024, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Yeah I plan on staying on meds.

Comment

Hi I take 5mg olanzapine and 100 mg sertraline at 10 pm at night. If I only feed 60 ml of my breast milk pumped immediately before the next dose and feed only formula the rest of the day, would it still cause side effects to my baby? I have heard only 2 ounces of breast milk can transfer antibodies to the baby.

Comment

momwithBP I see no reason for you to have to limit the amount of your milk that you are providing while on these meds or dosages. Fully breastfeeding should be compatible - both olanzapine and sertraline are L2 medications. You can monitor for sedation and poor feeding and do partials if your baby does experience any side effects, however, many do not have any problems.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
            X